Fawley 8-0 QK Southampton - Match Report

Result: Fawley 8-0 QK Southampton

Goalscorers: Peter Southwick x4, Lewis Bailey x1, Mark Lilley x1, Ben Murphy x1, Zac Willis x1

Attendance: 32


1. Burch, 2. Keating, 3. Macleod, 4. Earl, 5. Macey, 6. Sayce, 7. Willis, 8. French, 9. Murphy, 10. Southwick, 11. Lilley, SUBS: 12. Buckthorpe, 14. Over, 15. Bailey, 16. Hawkins, 17. Taylor

The Oilers went goal crazy on Thursday night as they ran out 8-0 winners against Hampshire Premier side QK Southampton, their fourth pre-season friendly. 

QK Southampton started brightly forcing Lee Burch to make a couple of decent saves, the home side took 5 minutes to get a foothold in the game. QK went close to opening the scoring, but for an excellent stop by Burch low to his right, he then threw it out for the counter attack leading to Southwick getting through on goal. Beating the keeper to the ball and finishing from a tight angle to put the Oilers 1-0 up. 

Fawley took control of this game from then, still having to work off the ball and deal with the away sides hard work to get back in the game, but enjoyed much more of the ball and played through the thirds well. The second goal came from some very discipline shape and pouncing on a loose ball from their defenders, Zac Willis making his way to the edge of the box to blast home. 

Ben Murphy broke through on goal shortly after, a lovely weighted pass from Mark Lilley. Murphy took the ball close and slotted under the on rushing keeper. Mark Lilley then broke through on goal himself, first effort hitting the keeper, but tucked the rebound away. 


The second half continued where it left off, Fawley controlling the possession and keeping QK Southampton relatively quiet. Both teams made lots of substitutions which always effects the momentum and slows the game down. It took 20 minutes for the next goal of the game, this one courtesy of Peter Southwick, volleying from close distance into the far corner. 

Southwick completed his hat trick shortly after, broke through, just about beat the keeper to the ball, having to re-adjust himself to line up a shot and fired into the near post beating the retreating defenders and keeper.  

QK Southampton were still attacking and keeping the Fawley back line busy, without Burch having to make any saves in the second half, they still threw bodies forward. 

The 7th goal came from perhaps an unlikely source, another new face Lewis Bailey. Mark Lilley firing a low cross, evading everyone and eventually finding Bailey at the back post to tuck away.

In the final minutes of the game, Mark Lilley broke free yet again, this time in a wider position. He saw the run from his teammate Peter Southwick and squared him the ball for an open goal tap in. Southwick's 4th of the night. 

Next up for the first team, Training on Monday and Wednesday next week before and away friendly against Bournemouth Poppies on Saturday 28th July. 

The reserves are away to QK Southampton Reserves on Saturday and home to Milford on Monday night.